Friday, January 9, 2009

I am running a half marathon?

WHAAATTTT...you say?

Well it started with a conversation with my wife where she related how her friend's husband was gonna run a marathon. Then this guy trains and makes only 27km in his training. On the day he runs the full 42km in 5 and half hours...a very decent time. I jokingly said i could run a half marathon and she scoffed. She scoffed!!!!!

So i told her i would run the half marathon in 2009....why the hell did i say half marathon...there is a 10km which would have been fine. But half marathon it is.

Then a few days ago i mentioned to a friend at work that i would run the half marathon. Another guy heard this and found it so amusing he posted it on our regional chatroom. It became a topic of discussion for a full hour. Then my big boss saw the posting and after laughing he came up to me and said I WILL TRAIN WITH YOU.

So on Wednesday we set up a run for friday from the office. We used this cool website called MapMyRun that mapped our run and gave us the distance the run covers. A glorious 5km.

Well today i ran.

My brain told me i had the confidence to complete, my heart said i had the courage,....too bad they could not convince my overweight body and asthamatic lungs. Well the good news is made 2km and then my calfs tightened and i felt like someone had grabbed the muscles in my lower back and was twisting it (like squeezing water out of a towel). TO put it bluntly, a very unpleasant experience.

Thankfully my boss did not make it. I was with my chain smoking colleagues Kevin S and Kevin C. As we ran, i was breathless and these two jokers were talking about work and they just ran and ran. Bloody singaporeans. They ran 6km, finished, drank their 100 plus and had two smokes each and said lets go. Bloody singaporeans.

So i have told my daughter, its ok to find things tough but you keep going...so the good news is i now know i am seriously f&)*ed in terms of my running capability and am fully motivated to complete this run.

So next friday, i run again with the two kevin's.

3 comments:

yaso said...

I am very proud of you for trying. Letting Ilyana know that we mustn't give up is the right value to instill in her, Besides the point; O am very proud of you for the focus and motivation that you have shown.

Your girls are behind you.

ramuk avis ved said...

ahhhh....when i least expect it, you take my breath away

Rajan said...

Hi Dev... i can relate to you 100%. Although i work out like crazy, my cardio sucks man. I can barely run for a km before i feel my heart in my mouth because i am out of air.

But i do want to build up my cardio... while i figure out how to quit smoking, the least i can do is train up my cardio.