Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Take it Like a man and go on

For the last week I have had the amazing positivity that I felt at the start of the year slowly fade. I love the work I do but the management and organisation drains me. I spend more time managing up than growing the business.

And now I have reached a certain point in my career that I crave the independence and empowerment to run and grow my buisness well. I do not like to have to justify my every action nor be second guessed. If I am wrong I want to be held accountable but i want the space to make both right and wrong decisions.

Yesterday things got heated between me and my boss and I rarely get angry or raise my voice but I was very close. Then overnight we again received queries on how we were managing our risk.

My problem is that I get very focused at work (which is very important as a trader) that it's hard to draw a line when I am home. My unfortunate wife has to deal with that but that's a whole different story.

So this morning I wa truly angry and I went to a friend in the office who I respect as a trader and I vented and said I give up. He knew I was upset.

When I went back to my desk he had dropped me a ib message - relax bro TAKE it like a man and go on.

I just started laughing out when I read that an I realized again everyone of us faces difficulties but the true measure of ourselves is not how we act in good times but how we perform in bad times.

So I started pulling together again and I have my issues but this year is gonna be great. Not because of where I work or who I work for but because I have a great family and I am productive.

So on those days that you feel your motivtion slipping, let me pass the best advice I have received this year - take it like a man and go on.

d.

- iPhone post

2 comments:

Rajan said...

I know how you feel. I honestly feel quite fed up with my work and the politics in the office has taken a new turn. For me, i am wondering if this is a sign for me to move on. Keeping my fingers crossed, if things work out, i might get to do what i like and am good at and get paid 3 times what i am earning now. Wish me luck.

Natasha said...

Hey brother... I know exactly what you mean and I do hope Daniel will get to read this. After 14 years at 1 company, I too became to realise that it is not right to be working as hard as I was but I certainly was not happy nor rewarded in such a way. So I did it - I took it as WO man and went on! :)

Daniel is feeling this somewhat now and is at crossroads in his life too. Whatever his decision, I will support but I pray it all works out.

As for me... hmmm at this stage, I am just enjoying the flexibility with the kids, mum and even the family and friends!