Tuesday, July 23, 2013

How we plan but don't follow through?

This is my problem. I just read my last post - http://ramukavisved.blogspot.sg/2012/07/start-up-of-you-introducing-ved.html. And honestly i am very disappointed. It was a great post and was inspired by the book i read and my intentions was clear to build a platform for myself but as i got caught up in my new responsibilities at work and with family issues, i did not follow through. Being inspired is the first step to creating change BUT to be inspiring, truly inspiring, you need to follow through and that is my problem. There must be follow through. Now i have to say in my defense, i have been adjusting to a lot with increased responsibilities at work and also with home developments that have forced me to refocus a lot of my time and energy back to my extended family. I have in short, been overwhelmed. I am continuously drained and tired and my workload keeps increasing. It has been hard to focus on the big picture goals i had when i was struggling to meet my day to day workload. I needed another burst of inspiration. My wife spoke to me about a friend and how she found that he had a system for work where he was effective even as he worked from home. Now i started to think about this and i realised that i had no system of my own. So a few months back as we walked through the bookstore she gave me a book with the very simple title Getting Things Done by David Allen. I had no idea who he was but i was open to anything. The book appeals to me as it tries to define a plan or system (knowing that everyone has different ways of working) that can work. I wont go into much detail but the first step was to define all the actions, projects that i needed to work on and then create a system to go through this and then to have a weekly review and define the next action plans required. Seems simple enough but when you have a wave of work and home issues hitting you, you tend to lose that ability to manage effectively. I have started following some of the guidelines in that book and i can see a 20% improvement now. Now in the book it states that one of the key elements on any productivity system is the Weekly Review. I needed a way to be honest with myself and i have found that i am at the most honest and open when i write. So this blog is my honest account as i get focused on Gettings things Done and FOLLOWING THROUGH. I will end here but say that i have started Collecting all the tasks and projects that i NEED to do and also WANT to do. It is hitting over 50. SO my first step is to categorise those tasks/projects into 4 broad categories - Work, Home, Health, Dreams.

No comments: